Latest watering releases
The following environmental water releases are currently being delivered or have recently been delivered.
- Delivering to Dowd Morass
- Delivering variable flows to Snowy River
- Delivering to Banyule Billabong
- Delivering to Corack Lake in the North Central region
- Delivering baseflows to Campaspe River
- Delivering baseflows to Goulburn River
- Delivering high baseflows to Lower Broken Creek
- Delivering to Gunbower Creek to target high flows
- Delivering targeted flows to Barmah-Millewa Forest
- Delivering low flows to the Loddon River
- Delivering baseflows to the Thomson River
Based on operational data available 29/11/2016.
Baseflow/low flow = a relatively stable, sustained minimum flow. Fresh = small or short watering events which exceed baseflow.
Releases can include water delivered in Victoria by the Victorian Environmental Water Holder, Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder, Murray-Darling Basin Authority (The Living Murray program) and the NSW Government.
Environmental watering objectives may also be met by other water in the system (such as water for households, industry and farming).
How do we know it works?
To measure the success of environmental watering, it is important to draw on the large body of scientific and community knowledge that exists about Victoria’s rivers and wetlands.Learn More
Seasonal watering plan
A statewide plan that scopes potential environmental watering in rivers and wetlands.Learn More
Rivers and wetlands
- • Barmah Forest
- • Gunbower Creek and Forest
- • Central Murray wetlands
- • Hattah Lakes
- • Lower Murray wetlands
- • Lindsay, Wallpolla and Mulcra
- • Ovens system
- • Goulburn River
- • Goulburn wetlands
- • Upper Broken Creek
- • Lower Broken Creek
- • Broken wetlands
- • Campaspe River
- • Coliban River
- • Loddon River
- • Boort wetlands
- • Birchs Creek
Environmental water stories
Looking across the expanse of sheep paddocks, it's hard to imagine the landscape dotted with wetlands, but it used to be before it was turned into farms.
The platypus is a uniquely Australian species. Along with echidnas, platypus are part of an exceptional group of mammals which lay eggs, known as monotremes. Yet our ‘duck-billed’, egg-laying icon requires protection.
News and media releases
The North Central Catchment Management Authority (CMA) is kickstarting plans to mitigate against potential toxic blackwater outbreaks in parts of the Loddon River.
The North Central Catchment Management Authority (CMA) says weeks of flooding in the Campaspe River has shown that when it comes to water, Mother Nature can be both cruel and kind.
You don't need to be as wise as an owl or have an eagle eye to realise it has been lovely weather for ducks over the past few months.